When natural disasters like strong winds, heavy storms, hurricanes or just a tree falls over your property, your roof can be seriously damaged and your home is left exposed to rough weather. Emergency protective measures must be taken immediately after any destructive incident happens. The inexperience or a state of nervousness after the emergency maybe delay accurate actions from homeowners and it is the right moment to call expert help to face the problem.
In those terrible moments when you have no idea about what to do with your damaged roof, the expert services of American Loss Consultant as home advisors can be highly timely. We are able to get you the best professionals to solve the problem. And what is the right soon solution in case of roof damages? Tarp installation.
American Loss Consultant can provide you a complete set of professionals that can install a tarp in your property. A tarp will shelter your home from nature elements as rains and winds. Really experts will select the best tarp option and perform a neat installation that will protect your home for harsh weather during weeks, or maybe months. Expert advice is really indispensable for the entire tarp installation process. Otherwise, the tarp will not really protect effectively your home.
Types of tarps
There are different types of tarps; they vary in materials, thickness, size, grommet strength, resistance and uses.
Multiple kinds of materials are used for tarps. The purpose of each will determine the material selected for tarp. Tarps can be made of polyethylene, canvas, and vinyl. Polyethylene tarps are very resistant and waterproof; some of them offers protection against ultra violet light and are long lasting, year sometimes.
Canvas tarps are also very resistant, but not waterproof. Water drip through it but continuous rain will damp them. Vinyl tarps are very versatile because they are very resistant: they resist the action of oil, acid, grease and mildew; they are waterproof so they resist a lot of rain and showers.
The thickness is measured in terms of mils or categories: regular duty (which are great for general use or temporary protection from natural elements); heavy duty (they are more resistant, some of them have a black woven scrim for UV treatment); or super-heavy duty (contain extra thick layer of UV laminate to help reduce degradation in front of sun exposure).
The size as it indicates is referred to the “size” or dimension the tarp has. You can find in the market multiple sizes of tarps which is great because you will always get exactly what you needed depending the extension of the damage on your roof. A tip: Never risk buying a tarp on your own without expert advice because sizes are usually a little smaller than advertised (usually three to five percent smaller). For example, if the tarp advertised being 20ftx20ft, it will be actual 19ft x 19ft.
Experts in tarp installation will measure the damage area of your roof and calculate the right size of tarp required. Remember that ALC can advise you about tarp experts.
Tarps are installed using ropes that go through grommets. The resistance of grommets is vital because they have to resist a lot of strength: tarp grommets must not be ripped out of the wind. In the industry you can find simple grommets or reinforced grommets; they can be made of brass, aluminum, stainless steel, or nickel and black platted.
The resistance or strength of tarp is indicated by the “wave count”. The greater the number, the more the resistance. Resistance often runs between 8 and 12 per square inch. A high resistance avoids tarp ripping in extreme windy conditions.
Other characteristics to be aware about
When selecting tarps, waterproof qualities, mildew proof and flexibility must be taken into account. Those characteristics are particular important especially in cold weather. The companion of experts will bring you the confidence of installing a tarp that really fits your needs. ALC will get for you those experts so you will shelter your home after the roof damage.
Steps for tarp installation
At the moment you hire people to install a tarp on your roof, you are relying on them the protection of your home. It is useful you manage the pro procedure technicians must carry out so you can supervise the work and be sure it was conducted in the proper manner.
For tarp installation every company should follow this procedure:
- Tarp installation experts must do the inspection to measure the damages as well as instruct you about some emergency measures you could take during the process.
- Removal of debris. Main reason to require tarp installation is having roof damage due to fallen trees. If there are branches, trees or any other debris over your roof, the restoration company will removed them. The roof must be cleaned before starting tarp installation. Wastes of roof, tiles, and pieces of wood must be taken away. If they fall, they can hurt anyone.
- Measure damaged area. The area that was damage must be measured carefully to select the perfect tarp size. It is crucial all openings on the roof be covered. Certified technicians are very dedicated in all steps of the process.
- Selection of tarp. Tarp selection includes not only the size, but also the material and other aspects important for client’s satisfaction like durability, water proof and more.
- To install the tarp, strict security protocols must be followed. The use of best practices to avoid collateral damages or accidents is mandatory. Strict care of the surroundings and procedures must be taken. Equipments for tarp installation are also handled adequately because no matter the size of the tarp, it must fit neatly.
- After installation cleaning. Proper cleaning of the entire remaining material, wastes or debris left behind the tarp installation is part of a neat job. Cleaning work areas after tarp installation process and sanitization of the areas (if it is required) are essential task of confident restoration companies.
- Final supervision. At the end of the tarp installation process, some restoration companies take pictures as part of the follow-up process. ALC advise to do picture records because they can be useful for you in case of an insurance claim.
Benefits of tarp installation
Once you are facing damages on your roof, you might upbraid yourself for not taking necessary precautions to prevent them, like cutting close trees…but anyway, if you are already facing those damages, it is time to prevent future damages installing a tarp roof as an emergency measure. What are the benefits of installing one?
They are very resistant as well as water proof so they protect your home for future damages meanwhile you restore your house.
The effective life of a tarp is about 90 days. It does not seem too much, but it gives you enough time to work on more permanent roof repairs.
Meanwhile those repairs are executed, your home will be protected from future storms or winds and deterioration will not increase.
A tarp protects your home from interior damage from water and other natural elements.
Always keep in mind that after any damage your home encounters, it is always better to hire professional services. Debris removal or tarp installation is really hazardous and besides that, you might not have experience, expertise or the appropriated equipment to succeed in the installation. Do not think that tutorials will help you for everything: this is a major task and you must leave that responsibility on expert hands.
If your home suffered roof damage and install a tarp is the next issue, contact American Loss Consultant for a safe advice.